Our 2nd grade library classes focus on:
- Growing students' comfort with choosing "just right" books, including use of the online catalog to help find books of interest
- Increasing appreciation of multicultural literature
- Identifying and knowing the importance of the Caldecott Award
- Becoming proficient with using specific features of non-fiction books to find information
- Exploring reference sources such as encyclopedias, atlases, dictionaries and periodicals
Library Activity - Week of March 30
- April is National Poetry Month!
- Open the Poetry Menu and choose one or all of the activities to work on over the course of the week.
- Please share anything you feel comfortable sharing - I miss you guys and would love to hear from you!
Library Activity - Week of March 23
- This week, we are going to revisit the story element of CHARACTER
- Watch this BrainPop Jr video to remind you about how we can better understand characters in the stories we read (use username Loker_School and password loker1)
- Then, watch my message and read aloud
- Answer the following questions about Straw, either on paper or to a family member (pets and stuffed animals count!)
- What words would you use to describe Straw?
- How does Straw act at the beginning of the story?
- How does he change at the end of the story?
- Are you similar to Straw? Why or why not?
Library Activity - Week of March 16
- This week we are going to Read Across America! Click here for an interactive United States map that includes read alouds, trailers, or important events from each state in the country. Make sure to click the "Present" button to view it in presentation mode. Choose 3-5 states to visit (you can do more if you'd like!)
- OPTIONAL: Add to my padlet if you want to share one of the states you visited, and why you liked it. Maybe your recommendation will inspire another student to check your state out!